A foreign worker could ask a future employer, during a job interview, if his family will be able to come with him or her to Canada. The answer is more complicated than it appears, as is often the case for immigration matters.

Basically, it will depend on the immigration program used by the worker to come to Quebec.

In the case of the Temporary Foreign Worker Program, it is first necessary to define the National Occupational Classification (NOC) code of the worker to be hired.

Spouse or common-law partner

If the occupation is of level O, A or B, that is, when a college/CEGEP or university education is usually required, then the spouse or common-law partner will have the right to apply for an open work permit.

If the occupation is of level C or D, that is, when a  high  school level or on-the-job  training is sufficient, then the spouse or common-law partner will not be entitled to apply for an open work permit. However, he or she could come to Canada as a visitor.


Minor children of temporary foreign workers in Quebec have the right to attend public kindergarten, primary or secondary school, at no additional cost to international students. For dependent children (22 years old and under) who are at the college level or university, they should be able to attend a CEGEP or university and pay only the same fees as Quebecers.


Warning! This text is intended to provide a general overview of immigration rules; exceptions or exemptions may apply depending on the case.

Upcoming: Family of a foreign worker using the International Experience Canada program.