The choice of the person who will help you with your immigration process is very important. Here are the options available:


Remember that you can always prepare an application by yourself. Guides and forms for this purpose are on the Government of Canada website called Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) or on the Government of Quebec website, called Ministère de l’Immigration, de la Diversité et de l’Inclusion (MIDI) This allows you to submit and pay the fees associated with your application. For the federal government, it all starts with the creation of an electronic account. For more information, visit this website: For the provincial government, you may have to send certain applications by mail, while others can be completed online. See the government website to determine how to present your request.



First, check to see if the consultant is part of the Immigration Consultants of Canada Regulatory Council: If this is the case, you are going to benefit from the services of a person who has specific training in the field of immigration, who must respect a code of professional ethics and take continuing education courses. If you want to immigrate, work or study in Quebec, make sure that this person is also a member of the Registre québécois des consultants en immigration: consultants/index.html. You will have to pay professional services fees for a consultation, the preparation and/or the revision of your file. Do not forget to ask for a receipt for any payment made!


                                                                                             LAWYER OR NOTARY

In Quebec, lawyers or notaries, members of the professional order corresponding to their profession, are authorized to help you present your immigration application. Since no training in the field of immigration is required of these professionals, it is best to check if the person you choose has experience and is familiar with the procedures to follow. The difference between consultants and lawyers is that they could represent you as far as the federal court, if need be, while consultants’ involvement is limited to representation at the Immigration and Refugee Status Board  of Canada. In addition, their rates are usually higher than those of regulated consultants.


You will see that each of the options presented has its advantages and disadvantages. If you submit your application on your own, then there are no professional fees; however, you will have to invest time and effort to make sure that you complete and provide all the necessary documents to process your file.